Wednesday, October 29, 2008

E-mail to a young lady working in an art gallery in the Bowery, New York

October 29, 2008

Dear Maggie:

Aren't you wonderful to think of us? (1) We already have a VIP package for the Basel Miami Art Fair, and (2) I don't think we'll be going this year. I think we have attended every one since Miami Basel started, and I don't think there is much new to see. Every year the Rubels go over the top, and every year makes it more apparent that there is more striving for a thin shock of the new rather than new discovery. But don't let THAT dampen your youthful enthusiasm.

We were VIP's at FIAC [at fair in Paris] last week. The fair was only C+, although incredibly elegant, but the peripheral shows (Picasso and his Masters, Nolde, Futurism meeting early Parisian cubism, Lee Miller, etc.) were terrific. This weekend we are VIP's in Berlin, and Friday late afternoon I am appearing on a panel on trends on collecting and the market (the answers are none and none).

I see you have a Sam Lewitt show starting on November 2. I will send you a jpeg of our installation of the piece we have. It looks good.

Also, please be advised that I am probably the only client of the gallery that has read about two thirds of Badiou's book on set theory ontology. I will try to finish it. I can't stand it that these brilliant Frenchmen still fret about communism, particularly since we might be replacing it with something worse.

s/ Ptolemy

No comments: